Total Pageviews

Translate

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

P.I.E. continues........PARTICIPATIVE

As promised I will explain the success of P.I.E learning scheme from my perspective. P.I.E is the short words for PARTICIPATIVE, INCENTIVIZE AND EXPERIENTIAL.

As all my students are male, between the ages of 10-17 years, they are full of energy, enthusiastic, curiosity, and rebellious. They are interested to know things beyond what they learnt at school. They have many questions and needed the answers and explanations on things taking place around them. Physical and emotional changes that happened within themselves. Many of them do not know how and where to expressed their feelings. From here I can deduce that there are thousands of these youth out there are facing the same dilemma. So I urge to all male and female adults out there, try to understand them. Of course parents are there, but they don't feel free and open to talk to their parents on personal matters. Ha ha, you know what I mean! Other than their peer groups there is non others that they can discuss and express themselves with. And we know that their peer group is also in the dark and equally good like them. 

             Outing at KFC: (L-R): Syafiz, Epowl, Yours truly, Kamal, Syamil & Amir

Here is where my role comes to play, I feel is very important to them. Instead of getting the wrong information, at least with me, they are free and open to express, discuss and relay their understandings, misconceptions, myths and truths of the real world surrounding them. Of course, I must admit that there were times when I myself do not have the answers to their questions. I am not Mr Know All.

Ahhh I have derailed myself from our discussion. Lets get back to P.I.E. We start with "PARTICIPATIVE" first.

I noticed that my students easily get bored if I am monotonous in delivering my subjects. Further more to them, most of the subjects they learnt were dry. The most they can stand me was 20-30 minutes. After which they will show signs of boredom such as yawning, start disturbing and talking to their friends, in and out of the gents etc. To break these boredom and monotony normally I will break for 5 minutes after every 20-30 minutes of lesson. I have to create activities that will bring them back to the class. Normally when this scenario occurs I will start having open discussion, question and answers session. They can ask anything at all, be it intelligent or stupid questions on the subject matters. This is where I need their participation to make the class lively and interesting, and I must know how to probe and provoke them to speak up.

There were times when I will ask all of them to stand up on their tables, and start asking questions. Simple, simple questions, not to crack their head. Those who answered the questions correctly, they can go down one step and stand on their chairs, next correct answer they got the chance to sit on their chairs. However, if their answers were wrong, they have to go up one level from where they were. I found out that from this activity, the level of competitiveness and participation is high. Everybody wanted to answer the question, they just didn't care whether the answers were right or wrong. When one answered wrongly, their friends will laugh their head off, seeing him going up one step up on the chair or table. This is where the fun of learning arises. I always inculcate to them that learning is FUNNNNNN  and they must ENJOYYYYY.

Other times I will break my student into groups and hold quizzes between groups. Normally the losers will have to  perform something that they enjoy doing. This is another participatory activity that can push them to another level of  interest in studying.


                     My naughtiest (then) students: Luqman, Ali, Nazim and Yours truly.

Other then these activities, I found out that the students will respond and reflect well if I myself participate and reciprocate in their activities. Some times after their school exams, they will come to class not for lesson  but I will allowed them to play. For instance, because my class is quiet spacious, we prayed, played mini football, hit golf balls, darts, acrobatic exercises, cook, eat and drink together. Mind you I give my students food after one hour of class, sometimes one piece of burger each, other times we cook, simple and fast stuff like noodles, fried meehon or nuggets, sometimes my wife made home cook laksa and spaghetti, free flow of coffee (coffee machine) are also available.


                             At my house: (L-R): Adlan (Azlan twin brother), 
                             Syamil, Azlan, myself, Wan, Syafiq, Syakir and Fauzan. 
                                                  Squarting: Ali

Through all these participative activities, the students are not bored, in fact they enjoyed the class, and comments that I received from parents are that their children are eager, interested and on their own will without being forced are looking forward to attend my class. This is the first step to learning, they must be interested at their own will, first to attend class. The learning will follow, I believe. REWARDING or not?

I will continue with INCENTIVIZE and EXPERIENTIAL on Friday. As I will be away in Shah Alam on my consultancy job on Thursday. Adios. 

See you and listen to Maher Zain. Specially for my wife NORSURIATI HUSAIN, who is a die hard fan of Maher Zain.........INSYALLAH.



Wassalam.



No comments: